We’re excited to announce that Timescale Cloud, the leading cloud service for time-series data, is now even more powerful, combining the widest cloud provider and region support with the best performance, scale, and developer experience of any managed service for time-series data.
One year ago, we launched Timescale Cloud as the first multi-cloud fully-managed service for time-series data. We initially launched Timescale Cloud to offer developers all of the power of TimescaleDB, the leading relational database for time-series, without needing to worry about database operations.
We’ve seen fantastic growth over the past 12 months, and we’ve continued to make significant investments in the platform to ensure it meets the needs of developers and organizations all around the world.
Today, we are excited to announce some of these major improvements. To support our global customers, Timescale Cloud is now available in 76 regions, across Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud Platform, with 2,000 different CPU and storage configuration options to provide developers even more flexibility.
You can now incrementally scale up or down in the region of your choice, with CPU options ranging from 2 to 72 CPUs and storage ranging from 20GB to 10TB (equivalent to 150TB+, thanks to TimescaleDB’s best-in-class compression).
With time-series data, each data point is inserted as a new value, instead of overwriting the prior (i.e., earlier) value. As a result, time-series workloads scale much faster than other types of data.
Timescale Cloud solves this problem, with added benefits: you get a database service that not only seamlessly scales to larger workloads, but also offers full SQL and rock-solid performance and reliability no matter your size – all without incurring the astronomical costs you’d pay with other managed services. Performance, scale, SQL, and low cost - Timescale Cloud has it all.
But if you’re still not convinced, check out the below to learn why customers select and trust Timescale Cloud – and how it frees them to focus on what matters to their business.
What Timescale Cloud customers have to say
Everactive focuses on optimizing customer experience for their revolutionary batteryless sensors, not scaling their database
“We have over half a billion of rows of data in development and production, across dozens of rows and several tables, and we needed a database that could handle this volume, while also allowing us to use our internal teams and resources. We evaluated several options, and Timescale Cloud was the clear winner: we get to use SQL and leverage tools already available in PostgreSQL, but don't have to worry about database administration or scalability. We can set it and forget, freeing up our engineers to work on optimizing our customers' experience."
– Clayton Yochum, Data Science Staff Engineer at Everactive, a technology company revolutionizing Industrial IoT with batteryless sensors.
When I Work reduces their monitoring footprint and costs by combining Prometheus with Timescale Cloud
“Timescale Cloud has dramatically reduced our monitoring footprint and costs from our previous tools, with simple pricing that allows our developers to collect more custom metrics than ever before. We rely on Prometheus to collect key metrics from each environment, while Timescale aggregates and alerts on them in real-time - something most Prometheus aggregators do not guarantee - and its basis on Postgres allows us to rely on the existing, exhaustive documentation and depth of tooling for that platform. Timescale Cloud provides the uptime we need for constant monitoring, and the Timescale team has continued to be responsive to problems and questions, while simultaneously delivering new features at an incredible pace.”
– Sean Sube, DevOps Engineer at When I Work, a popular SaaS platform for employee scheduling, time and attendance, hiring, and more.
Blue Sky tackles global climate change with advanced geospatial and time-series analytics
“Timescale Cloud is a great place to start working with time-series data, and I strongly recommend it to developers. With Timescale Cloud, you can adjust the system to meet your needs in terms of scale and flexibility…the possibilities are endless! It is truly a cutting-edge technology that has expedited our mission of commanding the space of environmental data.”
– Kshitij Purwar, CTO at Blue Sky Analytics, a startup on a mission to use geospatial data to fight climate change (read more about how Blue Sky Analytics uses data to power their platform).
Check out below to see what’s new and how to get started with a 30 day free trial, no credit card required. We know every customer and scenario is unique, and we’re here to help with any questions along the way.
What’s New: 2,000 configurations in 75+ regions on AWS, Azure, and GCP
Our latest update adds more pricing tiers and CPU/storage combos, making it easy to incrementally scale disk consumption from 20 GB to 50, 100, 250 512, up to 10TB, and CPUs from 2 to 4, 8, 16, up to 72 CPUs.
The most clouds and regions of any managed service for time-series data, now available in:
You can also see all plans and calculate your estimated costs for various combinations with our Cloud pricing calculator.
The leading cloud service for time-series data
With these improvements, Timescale Cloud continues to increase its lead as the top cloud service for time-series data, with better performance, a better developer experience, and a lower cost than AWS RDS, MongoDB, InfluxDB, AWS Timestream, and others.
- Supercharged Postgres. The same PostgreSQL you know and love, but better: full SQL, rock-solid reliability, and the largest ecosystem of development and management tools. Be productive instantly.
- Accelerated Performance. 10-100x faster queries than PostgreSQL, InfluxDB, and MongoDB. Easily handle high-cardinality data and build faster applications, without worrying about your infrastructure.
- Massive scale. Write millions of data points per second. Scale up to 72 CPUs and 10TB of storage (equivalent to 150TB+ of uncompressed data). Timescale Cloud grows with you.
- Relational & time-series, together. Simplify your stack and store your relational data alongside time-series data. Ask more complex queries, build more powerful applications.
- More cost effective. Spend less with 94% compression savings from best-in-class algorithms, including delta-delta encoding, Gorilla, and more, and a memory-efficient architecture. For example, Timescale Cloud can be anywhere from 9X to 72X cheaper than AWS Timestream, depending on the type of workload (see pricing comparison worksheet).
- Deterministic pricing. Crystal-clear pricing calculators so that you know ahead of time how much you’re going to pay at the end of the month. No end-of-month surprises.
- More clouds and regions. Available on AWS, Azure, and GCP, in over 75 regions around the world. Timescale Cloud meets you where you already are. By comparison, Influx Cloud is only available in 4 regions. AWS Timestream, whenever it officially launches, will only be available on AWS (and seems to be limited to one region right now during private preview).
- We try harder. Our world-class support and customer success team is always here to help you, whether via email or Slack. We do whatever it takes to ensure your success, from advising on database design to giving you specific advice for query optimization and everything in between.
...with the largest time-series developer community
The TimescaleDB developer community has come a long way in just 3 years, with tens of millions of downloads and over 500,000 active databases today.
This community includes organizations like AppDynamics, Bosch, Cisco, Comcast, Fujitsu, IBM, Schneider Electric, Samsung, Siemens, Uber, Warner Music, and thousands of others, including:
- TransferWise, for providing instant global monetary transfers with accurate conversion estimates
- Zabbix, the open-source IT monitoring platform, for storing metrics from servers, virtual machines, and network devices
- SAKURA Internet, a leading Internet infrastructure service provider for businesses and individuals in Japan, for monitoring network traffic
- LAIKA, the acclaimed animation studio (Coraline, ParaNorman, The Boxtrolls, Kubo and the Two Strings, Missing Link), for IT monitoring consolidation
- European Space Agency, for high-resolution studies of the Sun and inner heliosphere
- Senseforce, as a centralized datastore for all their industrial IoT data and machine metrics data
- Sentinel Marine, for maritime fleet management, managing boats and other assets
- k6, for powering their load testing SaaS service for developers, DevOps, QA, and SRE teams
- Grillo, for monitoring earthquakes in Mexico in real-time with low-cost sensors
Ready to Explore?
Please also reach out on our public Slack at any time to ask questions, get best practices from Timescale Product and Engineering (as well as our active community of developers), and tell us what you think.